Thursday, October 25, 2012

Woodworker's Transfer Tool On Chalky Paint Finish [Transfer Graphic Onto Vintage Tool Box]

I received so many emails about using this tool on painted wood I decided to give it a try. The directions with the tool just say "wood or fabric". I had a scrap piece of wood I painted with CeCe Caldwell's Chalk/Clay Paint. I chose a graphic from The Graphic's Fairy. Always remember to reverse your graphic first, if you need a mirror image. You need a toner based copy, from a Laser printer of copier. 
Here is the transfer on painted wood (top) and then fabric! Yephee! It worked! Here's how to do this transfer- let the tool heat for eight minutes, tape your toner copy face down onto the painted wood. The first press of the tool may scorch the paper, but keep moving. Slowly, I moved the tool back and forth with pressure. It has a flat round head to help you. It took firm pressure. As the graphic transfers it sticks to the wooden object. I peeked to check on where I needed to retouch the graphic. Just be careful not to shift your graphic. Remember this tool gets hot! 
This is a vintage tool box I chalk painted and used the woodworker's tool to transfer the French graphic onto it. It saves so much time rather than tracing, copying or painting the graphic onto the object. 
Another time saving transfer using this woodworker's tool.
 I have used Lacquer Thinner  to complete transfers onto painted wood too; you may also be interested in that type. 
Sisal twine, vintage skeleton keys, pinecones and acorns just say Fall to me. See the vintage hand handkerchief in the back? The lace is hand tatted. I do love vintage lace! 
Thanks for stopping by today!

Linking to:
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

French Country Cottage

11 comments:

Kate said...

Betsy
What a beautiful job you did. This is something I have never tried but maybe I should. Loved your post. Have a wonderful weekend

Kate
xo

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

Thrilled this works on painted wood! Can't wait until mine arrives in the mail to try it...I have something already waiting for a transfer. Thanks, Lynnie

~ Liz ~ said...

Sure wish I had one of those. I'll have to check and see if they are available near me. Looks like a lot of time saved, and I would really appreciate that! Thanks for the tip!
Liz

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

You do the most amazing work. I really enjoy visiting your blog.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That toolbox looks great--love the transfer!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thanks! I had no idea that this would work! Ya'll are so sweet to stop by! Have a wonderful weekend!

Cynthia said...

Love the transfer. Fantastic job on that tool box.

Cynthia

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Looks great, Betsy! I wonder if a regular iron would get hot enough?

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thanks! I don't think and iron would work. This gets really hot and is directed to one place. I used firm pressure too. I see a post idea for you, Sheila! Have a great weekend!

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Hi Betsy,

Your toolbox looks amazing! Do you think it was safe to use the tool on paint? I have wanted to try it but was afraid it might release fumes.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Dee, chalk paint is non- toxic, that's why I used it. I didn't notice any fumes. I haven't tried it on regular paint. It did take longer to transfer the image to painted wood though. Hope this helps.