Saturday, October 20, 2012

Transferring a Graphic to Wood Using A Woodworker's Transfer Tool



 I first saw this transfer tool used on Dee's blog, A Lapin Life . She has several posts and a video about this tool.  She has completed many wonderful projects with this transfer tool; therefore,I was intrigued and inspired. I picked this cutting board up at a thrift store. I ordered the wood the transfer tool from Amazon here.
I chose a graphic from The Graphic's Fairy, reversed it in Word, made a toner based copy, measured to center it and taped it down  to help me with the transfer. Heat the transfer tool for 8 minutes and "iron " the paper back and forth with the transfer tool. You'll notice as the graphic begins to transfer the paper sticks to the wood. Careful this gets hot! 
Sneak Peek
Just peel the paper back to reveal the transfer.
I stained the cutting board to age it and added wipe on Poly to protect the graphic. I plan to use this decoratively. 

Another cutting board with a graphic transfer. The cool thing about this tool it works on fabric too. 
Loving this transfer tool! It's so easy, no paint pens, it does all the work for you!
Thanks for stopping by!

 Update: I scanned a vintage recipe card, from my Mother's recipe book, reversed it, made a toner based copy, and transferred it to a cutting board with this tool.
She passed away many years ago, but the transfer is in her handwriting.
Sorry for the glare!
The Woodworker's tool can be purchased here.

I have received so many emails asking about using this tool on painted wood, I decided to give it a try. The directions on the tool just say wood. Please watch for a follow up post on using this tool on painted surfaces! 


Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Thanks for the feature! I'm honored!


Linking to:
http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

20 comments:

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

Looks great! I bought the tool months ago after Dee recommended it. It's never really worked for me:( So glad it did for you! Maybe I should try it again?

Shabby chic Sandy said...

It looks great! I must master this technique--I have seen so many beautiful projects!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I didn't have much luck with this tool, Betsy. I will try it again ~ maybe the third time will be the charm! Your boards turned out great!

Gina said...

I love it! It turned out great! I haven't had as much luck with the tool, but maybe I should give it another try.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

I am interested in trying this. Betsy, what is a toner based copy? The blog you mentioned said it had to be printed on a laser printer, but mine is an inkjet. Does it matter? What did you use? I am excited about something using a technique that actually works.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thanks! Ya'll are the best! Give this a try; it's so much fun! Thanks for stopping by!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Turned out great. I must give this another try.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I totally love it. The boards turned out perfect. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Betsy,

Your cutting boards look beautiful! I love the graphics!!! I'm so happy to see another blogger having fun with the tool. I wonder why the other ladies are having trouble. It's a pretty easy tool to use.

Dee

One More Time said...

this looks great...My husband bought me one of these and I have yet to use it...thanks for the inspiration! New Follower....if you would like to share this I would love it if you would come by and link up at http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2012/10/share-it-one-more-time-party-and.html
Tammy

Angie@slipcoveredgrey said...

Betsy, You have done it again! The transfer looks great! You make it look so easy too. It looks like you have inspired many to grab their tools and try again. :-)

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughtful comments! Angie, you're right it was so much fun! I had no difficult- beginner's luck, I suppose! I used Dee's tutorial and it was a cinch!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Betsy...what a great tool for transfers!!...Love the way our board turned out....and really like the finish you placed on the board...looks really vintage!!

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Thanks for the tip on transferring onto wood. I have not know how to do this and wanted to learn how. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

Wow, love this! does it work on painted wood too? Have you tried that? I would really be interested and which brand you purchased.

Thanks! Lynnie

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! You are so kind! I appreciate your thoughtful comments! Have a wonderful weekend!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I neeed to add this to my "to do" list because it is REALLy COOL! I love finnding ways to take ordinary items to the next level and make them unique!
♥Linsey

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thanks, Linsey! It's a blast- so easy! You are so talented though, you could paint this with no problem! Thanks for your kind comment!

Pam Zirbel said...

These are fantastic!! I especially love the first french one!! What does it mean when you said something about the ink on the paper? What type of ink is that and when you print it out, do you have to do the heat right away before the ink dries?! Anyways, I just love these!! Thank you for showing this!!!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Pam! You're so kind to stop by today! I'll email you the details to your questions.